Chartered Accountant (CA) Designation Revealed!

Online Accounting Community for Students

Saturday, August 4, 2012

I Just Got Promoted!


Well, the title certainly says it all.  I just got promoted to Manager 3 (or Senior Manager) level!  It’s great news for someone like me who is considered a ‘returnee’.  For those who haven’t read my earlier posts, I went back to my former employer (where I worked for 8 years before I resigned) after staying away for 4 years and running my own accounting firm during those 4 years.

Actually, I only found out the night before the formal announcement was made.  Should have been earlier but my boss was out of the country for several days and I think it just went out of his mind that he haven’t told me yet.  But what the heck, doesn’t matter right?  Great news is still great news.

But really, and I don’t want to put a damper on things, is getting promoted really great news? 

Well, it really depends on the way you look at it.

It may mean higher salaries, though I’ve gone through a promotion when my salary did not increase the way one who just got promoted would expect.  So note to self, do not expect a very high salary increase.

It may mean a more prestigious title as the Manager 3 level in my firm means a step away from becoming a partner.  But, it’s not a guarantee that one will become a partner, no matter how many years one is stuck in this level. 

Believe me, I’ve seen some people who are on this level who have been with the firm longer than their partners.  Why they don’t leave beats me but that’s a different topic altogether.

It does mean more responsibility and greater scope of work.  When you’re a senior manager, it means that you must be good all around – in the technical sense, in audit stuff, in maintaining the relationship with your client, partners, staff, etc. and in managing your people (and sometimes, even your clients).  It also means the partner can get to pass on certain things to you that they can’t pass on to junior managers and the seniors.  So more work for me (hurray – not!).

It also means more pressure to perform well as a lot of partners will be looking at your performance to assess whether they want you to become their co-owner of the firm.  To top it all, a lot of the partners know that I just got back six months ago so they will be looking for proof that my promotion is well-deserved.  So more eyes on me.

Oh well, enough of those thoughts about more jobs and more pressure.  I don’t think that will help my performance as a senior manager so I’d better put those thoughts aside (until the next time I’m reminded of them, that is).

Personally, it means that, even if I was gone for 4 years, my partner still recognized my ability to handle my job as a senior manager.  And that I am really grateful for.  I just hope I wouldn’t let him down.  So keep your fingers crossed for me and wish me luck!

Signing off now.  Till the next post!

7 comments:

  1. I am confused...

    You just quit big 4..so where are you working now? It sounds like another accounting firm to me.

    You also mentioned you took 4 years off to run your own accounting firm...and yes I read that from one of your previous blogs which you mentioned you were the only one able to sign off an audit...but you just got your CA this March.. i don't get it. Do you have a CGA or something else?

    So much confusion here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. there are two writers for this blog. one of them is a emie and one of them is the accountant. thats why you get two different perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I see. Thank you for clearing up my confusion. They should get their own blog...this can be confusing to people who don't know this blog belongs to two people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I am working on my cover letter for a CA Articling Student application to Big 4 firms. As I know Big 4s usually have a recruiting team which includes HR Manager, HR Coordinators and several hiring managers. The hiring decision will be based on voting of whole team, no specific person makes a final decision. So, whom should I put attention to? Or should I write " Dear HR Manager and CA recruiting team?"
    I would appreciate if you could give me an advice on this. Tks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fft5305: No $hit?? That ought to be a fun few days or weeks for the casting people. :P And who had fake boobs in the last few pirates movies, anyway? Was it those two women that hung around Captain Jack all the time? Because Keira Knightley and Zoe Saldana certainly don't have fake boobs. And if any of the extras had fake boobs, how many people actually noticed? Sounds like a ploy to make women shake their assets. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Handbags and Purses: Any handbag, aswell purse in American english language, is a handled medium-to-large louis vuitton replica bag that is about fashionably made, about acclimated through women, to ascendancy claimed items like wallet/coins, keys, corpuscle phone, cosmetics and architectonics replica handbags jewelry, books/e-books, pen alternating with paper, aliment and acknowledgment such as a admit bottle, pepper aerosol alternating with items for self-defence, tampons alternating with hermes replica feminine hygiene solutions, contraceptives, tissues and babyish adversity http://www.stableridgevineyards.com/viney.asp products, or a hairbrush.

    ReplyDelete