Chartered Accountant (CA) Designation Revealed!

Online Accounting Community for Students

Monday, July 5, 2010

Why Do I Find Audit Exciting?


Or do I…???

Somebody asked me a while ago (or rather a few months ago) whether I really find audit exciting. It would seem that my posts in this blog conveyed a sense of excitement in my old job.

Well, I had to admit I smiled when I saw that comment. I mean if you asked any of my old teammates or office mates if I looked excited during that time, they would just scratch and shake their heads. I don’t think they really saw me as “excited” when I was working in the firm.

Audit was my first job. I chose it not because I was excited about it. I chose it because, well, it was the only job I was knowledgeable about. I figured since a lot of my family members started out in audit and went on to build good or great careers, I might as well start with audit, too. Not very wise, eh? But then again, I didn’t know any better.

Seven months later, I soon found out the error of basing a choice on the wrong assumptions. I resigned.

That was my second mistake. Why?

Because when I started applying for other jobs, my 7-month worth of audit experience (which included one busy season) was like a no-experience at all. I basically had to start from scratch. So, after more than 1 year, I returned to audit, this time much wiser and much more mature than when I was first accepted on the job.

But wait! Was I excited this second time around? Still, no. It was just a job for me, something that I can later on put in my resume to get other jobs with higher pays and more perks. But as the years go by, I did find that there are things in audit I can get excited about.

Oh not getting new clients. When you’re in audit, during at least your first 2 years, you may very well get assigned to the same clients. I even had the same client for 5 years and another one for 3 years! So, no I didn’t get excited about getting new clients.

Was it the pay / salary that got me excited? Definitely not. Enough said.

Was it the hours kept? Whoever said they get excited with the hours in an accounting firm ought to get shot. Just kidding.

So what did I get excited about?

Meeting new friends? Yes! I met some very good friends during my 8 years of stay.

Meeting or auditing ‘popular’ clients? How about being the auditor of Google before they went public?

Sorry, I didn’t get a client that popular. But I did get to audit several clients who are pretty well known in my place. So yes, I was excited about those things.

How about getting great evaluations and being promoted? Who wouldn’t? I was promoted three times, got the highest evaluation several times (with corresponding salary increases to boot). I guess I was lucky that way.

How about traveling? I know some people would say traveling when auditing is not exactly a bed of roses and is not really conducive to sightseeing. Maybe true, maybe not, but just going to places that I otherwise wouldn’t have gone to if I wasn’t working as an auditor was an exciting thought for me. Plus, I was fortunate enough to be sent to another country for some on – the – job trainings. That was really an exciting time for me.

Lastly, the fact that I ‘survived’ 8 years working in an accounting firm is something I am always excited and pleased about. I know a lot of people will look askance at me over the fact that I managed to stay that long in the firm but believe me, it was worth every year of it.

So to answer the above question, I do get excited about some aspects of audit. Not all but enough for me to breeze through those 8 years and come out of them alive. But don’t let my ex – teammates or office mates read this, otherwise, I will never live it down. Admitting that you are excited over auditing is like asking them to dub you as an F – F – F – For the (Accounting) Firm Forever. And I’m not excited being called that.

And that’s all about being excited as an auditor. Thanks for reading! Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. Blogs are so informative where we get lots of information on any topic. Nice job keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just catching up but holy crapoly, that sounds like an awesome tailgate! I have to say - they aren't all that amazing. Deep fried Prime Rib? My god. Thank you for providing this information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a CPA and number is my passion as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For anyone who is witout a doubt driving, this really is tricky, although this can be a critical fake rolex watches. Some sort of dollars pre-book is significant mainly because you cannot count on everything that can come in place. Acquiring a little benefits, a good couple of $ 100 or so cash, will help hold people by having driving. When a credit ratings variety bureau balks on doing away with improper objects, contemplate tag heuer replica sale those to modest states judge. Regulations will give you the suitable to help file a suit intended for destruction of ones document, the expenses connected with treatment, along with the over emotional pressure concerned when controling the item. Many times, you possibly can gain automagically since they forget to display. There are various ebooks in addition to internet websites about how precisely precisely automobile credit ratings. Taking the time to help be able to experience this will likely be rather beneficial to people. The many cartier replica uk you uncover will likely be rather precious to your account often at this point automobile ones credit ratings, or maybe sometimes sometime soon avoiding acquiring to plod through that all over again. For anyone who is seeking to strengthen ones credit worthiness, will not produce this miscalculation connected with shutting down a great number of hublot replica uk at a time. Though could be including a sensible way to strengthen ones credit ratings by means of reducing unneeded credit ratings reports, this tends to basically lower your credit worthiness. You should definitely thoroughly contemplate no matter whether people fake rolex to help in close proximity business relationship.

    ReplyDelete